Pages

Tuesday, 5 February 2013

15 Minute Meals

Like many of the Mums in this country, I'm a big fan of Jamie Oliver and I couldn't wait to crack on with his 15 minute meal recipes, because there's never enough time in the week to spend any longer cooking. 

Having said that, everyone knows in our house that 15 minutes will end up as 30, and 30 will end up an hour. If I've made it a few times, then I can shave a bit off that. These days I can knock something nutritious up pretty quickly myself that contains fresh veg and good protein. This was one of those.  I scanned the 'almost bare' cupboards to see what I had and came up with this. 



Warm Salmon & Lentil Salad

serves 2-3


1 packet of pre-cooked (!) Merchant Gourmet Puy Lentils with sun-dried tomatoes & basil
2 or 3 salmon fillets  - 'wild' preferably as they contain less fat
1 large courgette
1 medium red onion
1 pack of green beans
1 red pepper
tablespoon Olive Oil
knob of butter
ground rock salt & peppercorns to season
Watercress & Rocket Salad to serve with cherry tomatoes
Crusty Bread - optional


Equipment

1 large frying pan with lid


Method

Start by chopping your vegetables. Finely slice and halve the courgette. Finely chop the onion & pepper. Cut the green beans 4 times into quarters. 

Warm the oil and butter in the pan over a medium heat then throw in all the chopped veg and keep stirring until it softens a little. Don't let it get too soft, you'll be cooking the goodness out of it and it's got a little way to go yet.

Season to taste. I used plenty of red & black freshly ground pepper, because I love it!

Meanwhile, chop your salmon fillets up into small bite size pieces, removing the skin as you do. Then clear a space in the middle of the pan and add the salmon. Move it around gently so it gets coated with some of the pan's juices/oils, then pop the lid on for a minute or two so it steam cooks. Keep an eye on it though so it doesn't stick. 

In the meantime, grab your Puy lentils and gently break them up while still inside the pack, then sprinkle them into the pan with all the other ingredients. Stir and fold everything in gently before removing from the heat.

Prepare your plates with some watercress, rocket and chopped cherry tomatoes. Dress it with a tiny drizzle of walnut oil & balsamic. Serve your Salmon & Lentils next to it once they've cooled a little, and if you're craving some bad carbs, have some crusty bread with it too!

Tasty grub in just 15 minutes. I didn't think to take a picture, sorry, next time....

It's not a Jamie, it's an Issy, but I hope you like it.

x

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I make something really tasty in just 15 minutes, I ask myself why I don't do it more often! I tend to favor time-consuming dishes. A friend used to say she didn't believe in spending any more time cooking a meal than it was going to take to eat it!

    ReplyDelete